Monday, December 24, 2007

Hipsters? Scenekids?

The hipster has changed from the image portrayed by Robert Lanham's The Hipster Handbook from several years ago. My sister and I mulled over this on a car trip.

The hipster is deemed "cool by the cool." This is still true. However, the popular things, the favorite places, all of this is different now. And now there is a new group: the hipster/scenekids. I'm not talking scenekids like, your kid with two or three different hair colors and loves emo; I'm taking a broader view. I'm talking your kids who want to be hipsters, love the scene that is hipsterism, go to too many indie concerts, et cetera. The kids who namedrop "Galaxy," "Plan 9," "Toad's Place." Do you know these kids? I sure as hell do. They listen to bands named something you would call your older brother when you're askin' for a smack, a pastry and a body of water, plural words that end with, instead of an "s," the ever-ironic "z," and things you see around your kitchen.

Originally, the hipster was just a more-mature scenekid. Does this make scenekid/hipsters the middleground? I don't know.

Sociology really confuses me.

Some overtly trite people like to say "You shouldn't categorize people." But hipster/scenekids are practically asking for an ideological term.

So I was trying to find the difference between the hipsters and the hipster/scenekid, more than the obvious "hipsters are actually cool," and I fell upon an answer that was right in front of me the whole time: hipster/scenekids love the beatles, the biggest sellouts ever, and try to act like the beatles are underappreciated and have all kinds of underlying truths in such beautiful songs as "Why Don't We Do it in the Road?" and "Rocky Raccoon." Not that I don't love to listen to the Beatles. But I can't deny that they were some of the biggest douchebags ever. Hipster/Scenekids love Across the Universe.

Indeed, the Hipster/Scenekids are becoming too recognizeable, and it is in this way that they have eluded the ever-sought hipsterness. Questionable Content, an online comic about indie people, (http://questionablecontent.net/) is a prime example of this. I read this comic and think "Hey! There's my friend Julia Coppinger!" (Love ya, Jules!)

And for this reason I don't think I am a hipster/scenekid because I am too mean and don't really care about offending people. There's no motivation for me to explain ironic political incorrectness. I think doing that is an insult to your intelligence. These members of an Indie sub-group will pretend to be politically incorrect until one comes upon the issue of homosexuality or some other nonsense and then suddenly they're prim and proper and polite and ernest and never meant to offend.

Is there now a new hipster, now that the old image was corrupted by a bunch of art-highschool kids? Could my sister and I perhaps be the new hipsters, as hipsters don't know they're hipsters? After all, hipsters do have "one republican friend." Could the one republican friend have stolen the scene?

No comments: